Subject: [Leica] in a bar
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sat Sep 10 08:40:35 2005

Rick Dykstra said and asked:
Subject: Re: [Leica] in a bar

> Sonny,
> > Great shot!
> > Are you really tall or did you use a chair?
>
> Given that you are a sniper rather than a machine gunner, how did you
> line the shot up without being seen?  No one is looking in your
> direction.  Maybe what was going on on stage is the key here. :-)<<<<<

Hi Rick,
But that's the secret!  >>> Maybe what was going on on stage is the key
here.<<<

Exactly!!! They are interested in something else, therefore they do not
relate to the camera, Period!!
And it doesn't matter if it's kids, teens or adults if the person / people
you are photographing are involved in mental process their mind is
concentrating on something they'll not see you with camera.

One of the things I began doing when I first acquired Leica's was to sit on
a park bench and photograph someone sitting on the other end and not disturb
them, or make them aware I was taking their picture. Yep it took some time
to learn but once learned it becomes easy.

Never look at them directly only through camera or peripheral vision and as
long as their mind is active about something else 99.9% of the time you can
shoot and they never know you've done it.

Much like shooting portraits by window light. Before you set your subject
for the incoming light know what's out side so you can ask them to look for
the... "red car, where does Billy live across the street, the building with
the big flag etc."  Whatever will help you to control without them thinking
you are controlling!

Now you know where they are with your back to the window so you can make the
mind of your subject become active simply because you set their mind and
eyes in action or the turning of a head in the direction of better light
without telling them to "turn your head this way or more to the right"
directing them, therefore usually making the subject more uncomfortable
about having their picture taken.

I use window light any time I can, even with million dollar a year CEO's
while they look out the window of their office for some little item that
they really have to search for, as this keeps their eyes and attention on
searching without thought about their picture taken. Make sure you know
several locations before you start then you can direct them for better light
or eye effect while never turning around and looking out the window again.
Because if you do, you break the concentration of the subject looking for
your requested item .

A mind in action is generally an easier subject to photograph than one that
isn't occupied! And that's what's happening here in Sonny's photograph.
 >>> Maybe what was going on on stage is the key here.<<<

you're welcome. ;-)

ted

Replies: Reply from ericm at pobox.com (Eric) ([Leica] in a bar)
Message from rdcb37 at dodo.com.au (Rick Dykstra) ([Leica] in a bar)