Subject: [Leica] Childhood Idyl
From: pklein at 2alpha.net (Peter Klein)
Date: Sun Sep 11 15:37:45 2005

Thank you, Luis.  And nice to see your face in Nathan's Perpinan pictures.

There is something about a child feeding little animals or birds that is
very dreamlike and evokes our own childhood memories. Something in the
less-than-perfect imaging qualities of the lens adds to the
dreaminess.  (That's how I feel, anyway).

The place where I took the pictures is in a public park in Seattle.  Many
people have abandoned their pet rabbits there.  Next to the clearing where
I took these pictures, there is place where the land was graded by dumping
many large stones onto a steep slope to keep it in place.  The rabbits live
in the spaces between the rocks.  They have done what rabbits do, and now
there is a colony.

The park has lots of politically signs urging us not to feed the
rabbits.  They are not native to the park, they can damage the trees and
vegetation, feeding them only increases the population, blah blah blah.  We
have similar signs by the water urging us not to feed the birds for similar
reasons.  But the eco-purists are fighting something basic in all of us,
involving the encounter between the little child and the little animal.

http://users.2alpha.com/~pklein/temp/25RabbitsBoy4.jpg
http://users.2alpha.com/~pklein/temp/16RabbitBoy.jpg
http://users.2alpha.com/~pklein/temp/23BoyRabbitBlack.jpg
http://users.2alpha.com/~pklein/temp/18RabbitMom.jpg