Subject: [Leica] Loading the IIIc
From: pswango at att.net (pswango@att.net)
Date: Sun Sep 11 18:23:07 2005

Don and David wrote:

David,
If the film is not winding as you describe then the film is not on the
sprockets properly.  This means that when you load again, make sure
the leader is properly trimmed, when you push the film down, the film
will not catch on the sprockets but will wind onto the sprockets.

Don
don.dory@gmail.com

On 9/11/05, David Cochran <cochranpr@mac.com> wrote:
> Thanks John.
>
> The film stays on the spool with no problem. When I pull out the film
> to try it again, it is nicely fastened to the spool.
> The "slippage" is that the spool does not wind, as if it is slipping
> over the shaft of the winder.

Guys, this may sound silly, but snce it's David's first time loading the
IIIc it's possible he may have the film rewind lever in the wrong position.
If it's in the "rewind" position the film will not engage the sprockets.
The lever is on the top plate, right in front of the shutter release.  It
should be in the "A" position when loading; "R" when rewinding.  Unlike most
other cameras, this needs to be manually reset on the IIIc after rewinding.
It's easy to forget.

IMO, David's problem has nothing to do with leader trimming.  I used a IIIf
and IIIc for years before I ever heard of the leader "problem."  I still
don't trim, although I agree it's faster to load if you do.

Replies: Reply from cochranpr at mac.com (David Cochran) ([Leica] Loading the IIIc)