Subject: [Leica] OT - Ricoh GR digital
From: rangefinder at screengang.com (Didier Ludwig)
Date: Wed Sep 14 12:12:58 2005

>Are APS-C sensors so hard to license from Sony? Is there a
>shortage or something?

It's not said Ricoh coulnd't get a license. But the larger APS-C sensor
would have changed the GR's design - either a slower or larger lens, and/or
a thicker body, and have raised the price (which is already quite high) in
any case. The GR digital seems to be a compromise in favour of lens and
size, but on the cost of the sensor. It's definitely not on the same
quality/performance level like it's film predecessor.

>There seems to be some pent up demand (at the high end) for
>a digi P&S with a great lens, some manual exposure control,
>and a larger sensor with great high ISO performance.  Why no
>cameras?
>Scott

It's still a relatively small niche demand and most digital camera producers
are running for the mass market blockbusters only. But I'm shure we'll see
such cameras in the near future when the mass market is more saturated.
Didier

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] OT - Ricoh GR digital)
Message from summicron at bellsouth.net (Frank F. Farmer) ([Leica] OT - Ricoh GR digital)
Message from rangefinder at screengang.com (Didier Ludwig) ([Leica] OT - Ricoh GR digital)