Subject: [Leica] OT - Ricoh GR digital
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Wed Sep 14 13:36:14 2005

 not on the same quality/performance
> level like it's film predecessor.

A point and shoot minicams camera with a standard DSLR APS-C would be a
great idea but has it happened yet at all I don't think so.
Me I have no problem with the lenses coming off.
The Olympus E would be great if its image sensor was upgraded to APS-C size.
The problem is the huge zooms they Burdon you with.
And do they give you a pancake option?
If so and with the bigger sensor they've got my attention.
In other words the Pentax presently known as *ist.

You'd think it would be an obvious idea but there might be something
obviously we might be missing. Could put sales of their other point and
shoots in some jeopardy? Probably not but maybe something like that.
The point and shoots have an area of the sensor around the size of an 8
millimeter movie camera if anyone's ever worked with that format or Minox.

The APS-C size is so close to half frame that I think of it as that but cant
get anyone to join me.

I used to think of the http://www.dpreview.com/ as the Minicam gazette but
I've grown to or it's grown to having me think of it as the whole gamut more
or less of the whole digital camera thing.
But I still think of it as "lets check  out the latest Minicam toys I cant
afford both finance and image quality wise on the Dpreview."

The thing now is to come out with DSLR bodies which match the size of their
APS-C sensors. Ever see one of these APS-C film cameras? They were tiny.
Like the Pentax out now. Canon's almost caught up with their latest digital
rebel and Nikon has yet to come out with a body with real effort put into
slimming down like the Pentax people did.
How long after the OM-1 did the Nikon FM come out? Or the Canon AE-1?
I think it took a year and a half.
That means now.

Mark Rabiner
Photography