Subject: [Leica] lighting critique request
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Thu Sep 15 20:13:45 2005

On 9/15/05 7:26 PM, "Eric" <ericm@pobox.com> typed:

> I'm interested in any and all comments related to the lighting in these:
> (You can just start at the right and hit the right arrow, too.)
>
> http://canid.com/current/jbm_0509_ab_01.html
> http://canid.com/current/jbm_0509_ab_02.html
> http://canid.com/current/jbm_0509_ab_03.html
> http://canid.com/current/jbm_0509_ab_04.html
> http://canid.com/current/jbm_0509_ab_05.html
> http://canid.com/current/jbm_0509_ab_06.html
> http://canid.com/current/jbm_0509_ab_07.html
> http://canid.com/current/jbm_0509_ab_08.html
> http://canid.com/current/jbm_0509_ab_09.html
>
> I don't remember the last time I used a flash.  Before today, that is.  The
> ups man delivered a 640 Ws monolight today.  Most shots are stopped *way*
> down.  f4 or so.  :)  Ambient exposure was around f1.  Diffused through a 5
> ft translucent umbrella.
>
> Any and all critiques would be greatly appreciated.  Can you tell that it's
> a flash?  You're not doing me any favors by being gentle.  Please tear
> these
> apart.  I'm trying to learn how to use artificial light.  :)
>
> Acros 100.  Xtol 1:1.  9.5 mins at 20 C.
>
> --
> Eric
> http://canid.com/

Shooting wide open with a powerful strobe is an original technique. f4 might
as well be wide open. And I shoot much with f4 lenses, my 180 and 120 Macro
Sonnar on my Hasselblads. 5.6 on my Fujinon for my Cambo shot wide open for
my Halloween 2001 project.
I've never seen it nor heard of anyone doing it with powerful strobes.
Something to be said for it perhaps.
But I'll admit that although there are downsides on powerful strobe use an
upside as I've always viewed it is NOT missing my focus on shots because I'm
able to be shooting at f16 or f11. And being able to zone focus because of
this thus getting more spontaneous shots. Being able to shoot from the hip
in effect. You are missing your focus in some of these shots of your little
girl, not the end of the world but I prefer to not to if I don't have to
with with a strobe I'd not have to. Blowing up a shot to 11x14 which is many
a photographers default size can be a real bummer with a missed focus shot.
In a serious they stick out from the shots in which you've nailed it. Though
some will work anyway. But with the expression on the face the same if that
were possible you'd go with the shot in which you'd hit your focus.
In focus backgrounds are just alright with me. I don't find them distracting
I find them quite natural.

A five ft umbrella is an elephant in an elevator but does light up the whole
room, (or elevator) so you'd have not tunnel effect as can be seen in your
shots. The backgrounds are out of focused but not darker.
If they are in focus it is quite natural.
If they did get darker with that tunnel effect then the fact that they are
in focus makes them less distracting. You might have stuff growing out of
their heads but it is dark stuff growing out of their heads. Dark or light
it's ok with me.
F16 and be there when I use strobes.

Mark Rabiner
Photography