Subject: [Leica] Black Paint M cameras
From: vick.ko at sympatico.ca (vick.ko@sympatico.ca)
Date: Fri Sep 16 12:14:31 2005

Excellent decision, you will learn lots.

You might be able to find cheap examples of black painted Leica items such
as MR meters or LTM cameras, to see how hard the paint is.

There are other examples of black cameras to look at, to gauge the hardness
of black paint.

The challenge is that you will be doing your first camera, where a company
(even a small one like Leica) will pay for months (maybe years) of R&D and
have resources to research and refine the metal preparation processes, paint
and primer selections, etc, to produce their commercial product.

You have your own time, energy, and limited access to supplies, to create
your black covering.

I've done it, learned lots, and every time I paint a camera, I get better at
it.

Good luck, and show us the results.

Vick

Replies: Reply from jblack at ambio.net (John Black) ([Leica] Black Paint M cameras)