Subject: [Leica] Re: WHAT TO TAKE? ; -) (Tina Manley): But take care........ some Advice!
From: alex at vanhulsenbeek.com (Sander van Hulsenbeek)
Date: Sun Sep 18 02:21:11 2005

Tina wrote:
.................................. The ability to change
ISOs when I need to.  The 1DMarkII is great at higher ISOs and, in
spite of its size and weight, is a really good, versatile camera to
take on a long trip to remote places.  You might want to look into
the Mark II.  It's a tank of a camera.

Of course, you won't be that remote in Portugal and England!  I
carried an Epson P2000 and my laptop to download into and had no
problems at all with batteries or room to download even with 3000+ photos.

---------------------------------

Yes. I went to the tropics in July - where is not important - with my Canon
20 D, lenses
and Epson P2000. The latter is great (transport it in a Peli Micro Case
1040!) and
saved my photo life. Read why:

The Canon 20D (as well as the 1D's, checked yesterday) have as
specifications:
0-40 degrees Celcius and 85% max relative humidity.

That max humidity was to be my trap. In a location near the sea, very hot,
very humid, on an open plateau
about 100 m about sealevel, I was taken pictures of pitcher plants. Sweating
a lot, camera - when not in use -
in closed wathertight Orlieb-type plastic bag for transport. Pictures were
fine.

Then the sun came out, and everything - litterally everything - got wet :
way above 85% rel. humidity.
Picture through the viewfinder fogged, sweat dripped on the body of the
camera.
The combination of it all did the camera in after a change of lenses: stop,
no more pictures, nothing!

(Sealed pro camera's can experience the samething after a change of lens)

A few hours later, back at the primitive lodge - the camera came back to
life, but with an ugly striped
pattern on the pictures. That could only be seen with the P2000. Good for
the P2000!

Back home, the camera is a total loss. Humidity has internally led to
corrosion of contacts, helped by
the fact that a switch off of power does not switch the electric currents
off it at all.
Proof - as I discovered later - : a switched off camera recognizes a new
flashcard with a light signal on the back.

The advice: whenever in doubt - lens fogging etc: immediately rip out the
battery and flashcard.
You may save your gear, as I discovered with my new (some days later bought
in town) Canon 350D. It still
lives and managed to function through similar circumstances in other places,
fogging included.
Pictures on website.

Will the Leica MD and the DRM be impervious to high humidity? Of course

Sander
Amsterdam
Holland

www.vanhulsenbeek.com

www.van

Replies: Reply from jonathan at openhealth.org (Jonathan Borden) ([Leica] Re: WHAT TO TAKE? ; -) (Tina Manley): But take care........ some Advice!)
Reply from images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] Re: WHAT TO TAKE? ; -) (Tina Manley): But take care........ some Advice!)