Subject: [Leica] Re: stop the whining..
From: SonC at aol.com (SonC@aol.com)
Date: Mon Sep 19 07:11:29 2005

In a message dated 9/18/2005 8:47:46 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
Summicron1@aol.com writes:
Too many people get expensive and very wide or  tele lenses and thing the
wide
or tele effect is giving them good photos --  sorry, what it gives you is
mediocre or bad wide or tele lenses. A "normal"  lens is normal for a very
good
reason -- it distorts the least and allows  the photographer to caputer what
he
sees most easily.

But the key  word there is "sees."

=============
I agree with sees, but I'm sorry, I cannot agree with you on the lens
issue.
 Just because a wide angle or tele  is not to your particular  taste,  does
not make all that is shot with them bad or  mediocre.

Witness GeeBee's use of the 90mm  Elmar
http://www.geebeephoto.com/2005/05004a.htm

and 135 tele elmarit  for landscapes,

or Rob's work with a  400
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/282316

With a  Leica M, I have never been entirely comfortable with a 50, dunno why
but that's  the case.  I would say a good 90% of my shots are with a
Summicron
 35,  though I now have a Noctilux that I am learning to like.  In  fact,
three of my last four pictures of the week were with it.

http://www.sonc.com/pookie_at_rest.htm
http://www.sonc.com/pookie_at_rest.htm
http://www.sonc.com/picphone.htm

I  just wish I could get past the heft of that thing.

I also  like to think I get some nice results from a  21mm

http://www.sonc.com/christmas_2004-fw.htm
http://www.sonc.com/cheer_levitate.htm

One  of the things I do when I am using a new lens for the first time is to
go out  with just that lens.  I shoot for several days with it, until I am
entirely  comfortable with it.   That's the key with equipment, knowing what
you
can do with it.  I'm not against keeping it simple, it just gets boring to
me
to keep doing the same things.

Regards,
Sonny