Subject: [Leica] Re: LUG DMR
From: FELIXMATURANA at telefonica.net (Félix López de Maturana)
Date: Thu Sep 22 15:28:12 2005

>The hearsay though is a good file out of the DMR beats or exceeds the
>1Ds MkII, even using Leica lenses on both.  I think it might be a
>CMOS vs CCD thing.  The DMR chip is a CCD made by Kodak.  A similar
>approach Olympus took.

Robert

The weight of the cameras was really without batteries and I extracted
them from commercial leaflets. If you measured differently at home it'll
be so...As a owner of R body and lenses I'd  sincerely like to believe
your above quoted words but every test I've read - from the Leica
enthusiast Erwin Putts to the last Chasseusr d'Images-  aren't  not as
brilliant as the owners comments.  Leica DMR has more noise above 200
ASA, has a truly slow start up, has a very short battery life, has
measurable less resolution, has strong moir? problems, has a working
speed and a buffer much slower and cannot be adapted -configured-to the
particular way of acting of a photographers what may be considered
either an advantage or not.

By no means I consider that beats or exceeds the 1Ds MkII -I own one-
and I have tested  finally the DMR. The ergonomy is good but it's not a
problem for someone who's switching often of systems. I'd kindly ask
Tina, Ted or Natham if I'm wrong. I've decided that Leica is film for me
and that other brands are for digital. I'll follow using Leicas but not
in digital arena. It's my personal decision and up to now I've not seen
anything can change my mind.

I'm really glad to see owners of DMR are happy. Bearing in mind the
investment concerned it's fortunately a good news. In digital I'm on the
way of quick developments launching cameras with full format sensor and
smaller bodies. Therefore I've ordered a Canon EOS 5D with kit lens. The
combo is a lot cheaper than DMR. But finally none of them has the
pleasure of shooting an old Nikon F or the Leica M7 with the 28mm
Summicron ASPH the best photographic equipment I've seen in my life.

Regards

Felix

Replies: Reply from leica at robsteve.com (Robert Stevens) ([Leica] Re: LUG DMR)