Subject: [Leica] Voigtlander question
From: douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp)
Date: Fri Sep 23 08:05:54 2005

Hi Bob,
it's quite usual to write an "umlaut-vowel" as "ae, oe,ue"" in German -
so Voigtlaender would be perfectly acceptable AND linguistically
correct. It's a lot more annoying to see people writing Rollie instead
of Rollei.
As  to the extra "h", I've been trying hard to think of a German word
with the letter combination "ght". There may possibly be something in
low or mediaeval German, but I haven't found one yet. About as rare as
the "th" sound which, AFAIK, only turns up in English and Greek, but
only if you ignore Spanish pronunciation.

Douglas
G2E - Translation Correction Adaptation
Hannover,Germany