Subject: [Leica] Voigtlander question
From: Thinkofcole at aol.com (Thinkofcole@aol.com)
Date: Fri Sep 23 07:51:04 2005

Marc chastised me  for inserting an "h" in Voigtlander, which he maintains
the  Voigtlander family disavows.
  All of which brings up what another  LUG member noted: that if you insert
the "h" in Ebay searches for  Voightlander, you get replies. I, too, have
gotten replies on Ebay in  searching for Lieca and Lietz. [What surprised me
was
that although some  sellers can't spell Leica, they know how much to ask for

them.]
  Another thing: As a creature of habit, I  --and I believe other members --
simply copy the subject as written by  the sender, which is what I did.
That's
how I picked up the "h". If you refer  [below] to the original message you
will see that I simply copied the subject as  written, but in writing my
reply I
added an "r" to the Skopa mentioned in the  original.
  As for the "h" in Voigtlander, there are  hundreds of German words that
are
spelled one way by the Germans and another  way by others; Voigtlander is
one
of those words. That is why the issue  came up; lots of people spell it with
the "h.''
  The issue comes up among grammarians and  philologists in many other
words:
for example: labor and labour, clue and  clew, catalog and catalogue.

 I confess I generally now write  Voigtlander but years ago I used to write
Voightlander. [I never add  the umlaut over the "a" because I'd have to look
it
up every time I  wanted one because it isn't on my standard keyboard.]

Anther confession: I've owned a few Voigtlanders  over the years and I'm
really very sorry I didn't hold on to them-- particularly  the Bessa; it was
one
of the best cameras I ever had.

regards, bob cole