Subject: [Leica] DMR at 1600 iso
From: bdcolen at comcast.net (B. D. Colen)
Date: Fri Sep 30 07:08:50 2005

With that lighting, it's about equivalent to, or a touch better than the
E-1, which is no winner in the noise at 800 and above department. But the
E-1 body, not back, is available from B&H for $999 - and it is as solidly
built, as well sealed against dust and water, as the top-of-the-line Canon
and Nikon pro bodies. And, having used the camera for two years now I have
yet to have to clean the sensor, because Olympus's autoclean gizmo really
does work.

As to the look of the Canon's at 1600 and 3200, Robert, I have to disagree
to their description as looking plastic. Does noise reduction result in a
trade off in terms of some detail? Yes. But if the noise is a distraction,
it's a trade-off worth making.

Further, with all due respect, I would hardly describe the last couple
images you've posted as being "punchy" in terms of colors.