Subject: [Leica] Old M3
From: pswango at att.net (pswango@att.net)
Date: Sun Oct 2 09:59:15 2005

Peter Klein wrote:

>Phil:  I'm curious if your Jupiter-8 focuses properly both at near and far
>distances on your M3.  Mine does not focus properly on either of my M
>bodies, though it focuses perfectly on the Zorki 4 it came with.

Peter, I've checked near focus pretty closely.  It seems right on.  At one
time I had posted a picture from the test but it's down now.  I photographed
a ruler at f/2 from 1 meter, and the point I focused on was the sharpest
point in the photo.  Not scientific, but my experience in actual use has
borne it out.  I haven't shot anything at infinity and f/2 but have seen no
indications of a problem with distance focusing in day-to-day shooting.

Karen Nakamura says you can determine the year of manufacture on a J8 by the
first two digits of the serial number.  If she's right, mine was made in
2002 so it's a late model.  Maybe the later ones didn't have the problem.
I've also used my J8 on a IIIc and M6 with no apparent focus issues.  But
other people have reported problems like you describe.  I understand it's
easy to fix, but then it wouldn't be right for the Zorki, I guess.

Phil Swango
http://pswango.smugmug.com/