Subject: [Leica] Mercury battery solution for M5, Leicaflex, etc.??
From: simonpj at mac.com (Simon PJ)
Date: Fri Oct 7 06:40:54 2005

Thanks for this information, Didier.

I vaguely remember a potential problem to do with the voltage stability of
alkaline batteries compared to the mercury batteries: that the mercury
batteries retain a relatively steady voltage until they fail, while the
alkaline batteries are constantly reducing in voltage. Presumably this is
something that the meter electronics have to be able to compensate for, and
may be a potential problem for the M5, Leicaflex, etc. in which the meter
circuits were designed to deal with a constant 1.35V

It's quite likely that I have remembered this wrongly, and invented the
problem!

Best,

Simon.