Subject: [Leica] Mercury battery solution for M5, Leicaflex, etc.??
From: frank.dernie at btinternet.com (FRANK DERNIE)
Date: Fri Oct 7 15:51:49 2005

Hi Simon,
that was my belief also. Because mercury batteries
produce a very stable voltage until exhausted they
were chosen in many aplications where a voltage
reference was required. Electronic components are
cheap and reliable today so a super stable voltage
source is easily produced using other sorts of
battery. No camera which has a circuit designed using
the particular characteristics of a mercury battery
will be likely to be accurate over the life of a
different type of battery unless an some sort of
voltage stabiliser is added.
I think the Wein cell or an adapter (I seen to
remember chris 9 adapter ??) is necessary for the
meter to retain its accuracy. OTOH how accurate do you
need to be :-)
Frank
Frank