Subject: [Leica] Which scanner
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Sat Oct 8 05:39:46 2005

David,
A good solution would be both. 35mm just does not get the resolution needed
for large prints from a flatbed scanner. Within limits mostly having to do
with dynamic range a good flatbed works just fine for medium format or large
format.
 So, for 35mm look particularly at the Minolta 5400 version II at around
$500 and the Nikon 5000 at around $1100. The difference in price has to do
with the ability to use bulk scanning devices and some build quality.
 For medium format the consensus for reasonable dollars would be one of the
Epson, I believe but don't quote me the current model is the 4990.
 So, for a budget of $1000-$1600 you can have both. Of course the Nikon
8000/9000 is in that price range so maybe one box on the desk will work
better for you. :)
 Don
don.dory@gmail.com