Subject: [Leica] Black and White
From: leica at rcmckee.com (R. Clayton McKee)
Date: Wed Oct 12 10:58:39 2005

On 12 Oct 2005 at 13:06, Tina Manley wrote:

> So far, the vote is 14 for B&W, 7 for color, 4 for Sepia, and 4
> undecided (including me).

I'm gonna vote "Yes" and argue that "better" or "Not Better" says
more about the viewers than the photographs, all of which are to one
degree or another exceptionally fine.  I don't think I can
comfortably make a statement that the group as a whole should be one
or the other; many I like both ways -- though they do seem to have
different meanings, when treated differently.

I think perhaps BD came close, that B&W is Documentary, but I'd think
that in this case the degree of intimacy and comfort in the photos
suggests that the color set is more akin to perhaps Karen's idea of
photoethnography than to it is to tourism.  The color sense in the
pictures isn't secondary, it's an intrinsic part of the indigenous
culture and mindspace.

It's not surprising that of the LUG would go for B&W, though; with
the possible exception of Kyle we're all to one degree or another
traditionalists and this is a classic execution of traditional B&W
subject matter.

Thanks, Tina.

--

R. Clayton McKee                           http://www.rcmckee.com
Photojournalist                               rcmckee@rcmckee.com

Replies: Reply from philippe.orlent at pandora.be (Philippe Orlent) ([Leica] Black and White)
Message from images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] Black and White)