Subject: [Leica] #358
From: douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp)
Date: Mon Oct 17 03:32:37 2005

Philippe, (and GeeBee),
http://gallery.leica-users.org/Yorkshire/Calderdale_Canal_Basin_Hebden_Bridge_edited_1

Hebden Bridge Basin
http://gallery.leica-users.org/Yorkshire/Image1_25_edited_1  Motorised
narrowboat, under the road bridge at Saltaire.

The town of Saltaire, a combination of the name Salt (Titus Salt) and
Aire (the river) was purpose built in the Aire Valley by Sir Titus Salt
in the 19th Century. He made his fortune by discovering a way to spin
and weave fine Alpaca fibres. The workers houses were all built to a
high standard of hygiene(flushing toilets), there were libraries and
meeting rooms, bath houses, but no public houses (Inns or pubs) as Sir
Titus was a strict Methodist and, as such, very much a man of
temperance. The factory was disused for a long time but is now thriving
as the David Hockney Museum (he was born close-by in Bradford) offices,
studios and shops. It's well worth a visit.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/Yorkshire/Calderdale  Horse drawn
narrowboat. This boat runs trips up and down the "cut" around Hebden
Bridge in the Calder Valley, Hebden Bridge was famous for corduroy and
"Moleskin" cloth factories and is now a tourism centre and home to
thousands of yuppies who escaped from Manchester and Leeds. In the
meantime both Manchester and Leeds have shaken off their industrial past
and, along with Newcastle, are the new media and fashion centres of
Northern England

it's a pity I didn't get in closer on these shots so that you could see
the traditional "Rose and Castle" decorations on these narrowboats,I'm
sure Graham has some more detailed
shots of the like. The decorations are similar to those painted by
Romany (Gypsy) families on their carts and waggons. The bargees, as they
were called, decorated just about every inch of their boats and you can
often find water jugs and other bits and pieces painted in this style in
souvenir shops along the canals. Supposedly the R&C decorations go back
to Romany themes from Rumania (or so I was told by a bargee family in
Hebden Bridge). Both canals shown here traverse the Pennine Range via
tunnels, in the distant past, before barges were motorised, the
crew had to lie flat on their backs and push the barge through the
tunnel by pressing against the roof. The horses were taken around on
foot over the mountains. A quite spectacular thing used to happen in the
Leeds and Liverpool tunnel, the railway tunnel runs parallel to the
canal and you could find yourself enveloped in steam, smoke and
deafening noise.