Subject: [Leica] Advice needed: Buying Leica IIIf and 50mm lens
From: vick.ko at sympatico.ca (vick.ko@sympatico.ca)
Date: Wed Oct 19 07:55:00 2005

In my opinion:

You have to ask yourself two things:
- what the important criteria are for the usability of a camera, and
-what attributes the camera brings to the images you produce.

1)  Usability:
The IIIf or any thread mount Leica has very unique usability constraints,
such as the separated viewing/focus windows, and rear loading where the film
must be trimmed.  The M series has a door access to the back that solves the
need to trim film.  The LTM series do not have that, and loading an LTM is
tricky.  For rapid focusing and viewing, I found the separated windows
totally frustrating to the point of unusable.  I was trying to capture my
baby son with it.  Travel and weddings are situations where rapid camera
ergonomics are needed; I would shudder if I was restricted to a Leica LTM
for those situations.  And none of the LTM's have a meter.  I bet you are
now used to the super-fast handling of the M7 and CLE AE, or even the
benefit of TTL metering withe the CLE.  Are you ready to revert to a
handheld meter?

2)  attributes of the camera, namely - the lenses.
Having a Leica LTM opens the door to entire families of LTM lenses and their
unique signatures.  There are reams of discussions on the qualities of
Summars, Hektors, Elmars, etc.  One viable option is to buy the LTM to M
adapters and use those lenses on your CLE/M7 and obtain the signatures of
those lenses.

...in my mind.
Vick

Replies: Reply from jgovindaraj at eth.net (Jayanand Govindaraj) ([Leica] Advice needed: Buying Leica IIIf and 50mm lens)