Subject: [Leica] Advice needed: Buying Leica IIIf and 50mm lens
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Wed Oct 19 19:23:28 2005

Colin,
If you purchase a recently CLA IIIf or purchase a IIIf and have DAG or Ken
Ruth or Focalpointlens do a CLA you will have a very reliable camera. With
the wide angles that you mention, focusing is really not an issue as you
will be zone focusing and using a viewfinder anyway. Do purchase one of Tom
Abrahamson's rapidwinders for the LTM and you will dramatically speed up
winding. Also, pick up some extra spools so that you can go out with
pretrimmed leaders already loaded on a spool: the Canon ones are especially
good and can be found somewhat inexpensively.
 The trick to using a LTM Leica is to be totally comfortable loading one.
Cut a proper leader and push the film in, wind off two frames and away you
go. The trick is to cut the leader as per the diagram on the bottom of the
camera.
 Personally, I would not go on a professional shoot with two different
cameras. I would pick up an M2/3/4/6 at whatever is a good price and use
those with the M7 you keep. The difference in price between a user M3 and a
IIIf is only a few hundred dollars and a missed shot fiddling with the slow
speed dial could easily cost that much.
 0.02
 Don
don.dory@gmail.com