Subject: [Leica] Re:New 12.8 megapixel 5D. Leicanon!
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Wed Oct 19 10:44:13 2005

At 4:04 PM +0200 10/19/05, F?lix L?pez de Maturana wrote:
>>Ted:
>>
>>Take a look at wide shots from the 5D.  All the
>>image is smeared looking other than the central
>>portion.  I have seen this both with the fine
>>Canon L wides and the finest of the Leica
>>wides.  If you ever heard the expression "If it
>>looks too good to be true?"  The 1Ds MK II
>>doesn't seem to suffer from this problem with
>>the wides.
>>
>>Regards,
>
>Ted
>

>I'm just shooting right now with 5D and 14mm
>f2.8, 16-35mm f2.8 and 24-105mm f4. It's too
>early for  having complete conclusions but
>saying that "all the image is smeared...other
>than central portion" is merely an exaggeration,
>and I'm a user of Leica R with 21-35mm zoom and
>Leica M with 21mm lenses. You have shot many,
>many pictures with your -excellent- Canon 20D,
>just give the 5D an opportunity! There are some
>important members of the LUG -I don't need
>mentioning them-  who started shooting with
>digital Canon "and" Leica lenses. Good match.
>But I'm watching that, more and more, they are
>actually  using  right now Canon lenses too.
>
>Regards
>
>Felix

The images from the 5D that I shot show a very
high image quality, and you can shoot as wide as
12mm, and you can get the shallow depth of field
that an 85/1.2, with attendant field of view will
produce, all from a body that is quite compact
and handles well. On top of that the low light
capability and quality is unmatched at this time.

It's not the best choice for Leica-R wideangles,
but it does things that you can't do with the
DMR, or the 20D, or with a 22mp MF back, or a
141mp non-Bayer Betterlight scanning back, and
for a price that can't get you a 1Ds. It has its
place, and I feel is an incredibly good value at
this point.

I'm delighted that Leica has produced a digital
solution that produces, within certain
parameters, images of a quality that can compete
with the best other 35mm based solutions, but it
is a compromise as are all cameras. I hope that
it succeeds, because Leica depends on it and I
want to see the Digital-M produced, and I want
Leica to stay in business to make more high
quality products.

--
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design