Subject: [Leica] Re: Advice needed: Buying Leica IIIf and 50mm lens
From: eperea at walkereng.com (Emilio Perea)
Date: Thu Oct 20 11:42:54 2005

On Thu, Oct 20, 2005 at 09:11:08AM -0700, Colin J wrote:
> I have taken on board all the very helpful
> comments, including the one accusing me of being
> a troll! (English is not my first language so I
> may have created some misunderstandings without
> intention).

Since English is not your first language, it might not be out of place
to mention that "troll" in this context does not refer to mythical
creatures, but to fishing.  To be called a troll is rarely a compliment,
but neither is it an insult.  The sense is that you put out some bait to
see what it catches.  For fun rather than because you have a serious
question.

I interpreted the comment to mean that after he answered the question,
he wondered whether he had wasted his time or not.  I'm pretty sure it
was not meant to be offensive.

A new user asking about Mac software in a Windows mailing list (or Linux
in a BSD mailing list) would probably be thought an offensive (or
incredibly ignorant) troll by most members.  A new user asking about the
superiority of Planar over Xenotar lenses in a Rollei list would
probably be called a troll, but it would not be thought offensive unless
he were the third one asking the same thing today.

I mention this because English is not my first language either...

Replies: Reply from bdcolen at comcast.net (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] Re: Advice needed: Buying Leica IIIf and 50mm lens)