Subject: [Leica] Another 5D question
From: FELIXMATURANA at telefonica.net (Félix López de Maturana)
Date: Tue Oct 25 01:08:48 2005

>What do you use for a good WA lens on the 5D since the wide R lenses can't
>be
>used ?  I think the 35  is OK, but not any of the wider R lenses.  I have a
>24 R but from what i have heard it is not possible.  I have heard the Canon
>WA's are not all that good corner to corner.  What about their wa zooms?
>
>gene

There is nothing in Canon stable like a Leica R 21-35mm or a Leica M
21mm ASPH. The approach of Japanish manufactures  is getting lenses with
a very good ratio performances/price. They go beyond the limits where
the excellence is lost so their wide zoom goes to 16mm and f2.8. o I use
regularly the Canon EF 14mm f2.8, the EF15mm f2.8 and the 16-35mm f2.8.
They have vignetting and distortion in corners and borders that can
easily corrected with PS ACR but some lack of resolution that cannot.
The lenses improve a lot closing two stops.

I don't reject this approaching as I can use when necessary the 14 and
16 with my EOS 1Ds MkII and 5D while these limits cannot be reached with
my Leica R lenses. But I can understand that if you need extreme quality
this is not acceptable.

Regards

Felix.

Replies: Reply from grduprey at aol.com (grduprey@aol.com) ([Leica] Another 5D question)