Subject: [Leica] Infinity focus accuracy
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Tue Oct 25 20:30:25 2005

Bonsoir Robert,

Robert Beaudoin offered:

Sorry for being a bit late, but I'm on the digest.  This one seems to have
gone unnoticed however it must be challenged.  Ted Grant ye olde master has
got it wrong. <<

I do that on occasion! ;-) hell being right all the time only happens in a
perfect world! ;-) Today?

>>Ted claims that it does not matter if one's camera rangefinder is off at
>>infinity since one usually very rarely takes photos at infinity. Just stop
>>down the lens says he. Well, if the rangefinder on my M5 is off at
>>infinity, assuming the lens is properly calibrated, it certainly also has
>>to be off at any other distances, including the shortest ones.<<<

Robert not necessarily so because it could be a situation of the range
finder alignment "looking like it's off at infinity" and not really as
happens sometimes. And when one focuses at closer situations it works fine.

Actually much like the R lenses that focus? beyond infinity, well on the
lens markings they do and have to be actually set at infinity.

>>>How can it be any other way?  Is it possible for a rangefinder to be off
>>>at infinity but not at other distances?  What say you experts?  Inquiring
>>>minds etc. etc.<<<

Well I don't know that I'm an expert to answer your question, but I am a
user since 1967 of M type cameras, usually three at a time and up to the
M7's and including your M5 I have had a few bumped out of line. But I just
figured "oh what the hell as long as the negs keep coming out sharp I don't
have to worry! " ;-) So I suppose out of alignment isn't always the big deal
some folks make it out to be because all they have to do is shoot a roll
using the "out of aligned" rangefinder and if they get 36 frames in focus?
What the hell, why worry! :-)

It's when one gets them out of focus is when you worry about it. Besides the
alignment depends on whether it's up or down or side ways! OK now the
experts can explain that one!

ted

   Best,

  Robert (Un chevalier sans blason)