Subject: [Leica] The Crucible
From: rangefinder at screengang.com (Didier Ludwig)
Date: Thu Oct 27 12:43:22 2005

>Clearly you are far more demanding than I  about such matters.

An academic disease. In french we call that "deformation professionelle". I
work up to 8hrs a day in photoshop and other visual tools, teach interactive
design at a university... (thats why I shoot analog in my private time btw)

>I'm mostly interested in the image, not the single pixel line around the
>picture. I
>never noticed the phenomenon before; it is not in my psd versions, only on
>the
>saved for web versions.

In PS, you have probably done a resize, and then the outer line of the
resized picture is not 100% opaque, but can contain a certain amount of
transparency (which can hardly be seen unless you add a colored layer
beneath). This phenomen is a photoshop-typical algorythm problem. When you
output it to jpg format, which can not display transparencies, the
ImageReady "save for web" module in PS is adding a color (default: white,
but can be changed) for the transparency value.  For instance if there was
15% transparency, PS is mixing the 85% (your color) with 15% of the selected
"jpg background" color (called "Basis" in german PS dont know in english).

There are two solutions - you crop one pixel at each side; or you select a
suiting color in the "safe for web" menu (at the top right, below "quality"
and "softness"). Second solution is not recommended if your borderline has
several different colors.

But don't loose your time with crap like that, just keep shooting!
:-)
Didier