Subject: [Leica] Re: Film vs. Digital (details)
From: rbaron at concentric.net (Robert D. Baron)
Date: Fri Nov 4 08:45:13 2005

Yesterday, Sonny Carter wisely observed:

> I recently
> realized, even though I keep all my digital files,  that  I can't just
> pick up a
> album or a shoebox, and look back at about the  last two years of my
> family's
> life.

<snip>

> It's not just my own work I'm thinking of, but I believe we as a
> civilization are headed for a void in the record of our lives and how we
> lived  them..

I feel compelled to chime in with my own agreement with Sonny's
thoughts.  I've been thinking about this a lot during the last few years
as I have watched friends and relatives switch to digi snapping and as I
have added Canon digital to my own assortment of Leica gear. I believe
he is exactly right.

I'm going to continue to use both as the need and spirit move me, but I
am also going to try to be more disciplined and force myself to make
prints of the more important (from a historical, family and otherwise,
point of view) shots so they are available to others when I'm not around
to find them on the hard drive or archived cd.

I just think it is the right thing to do.

--Bob

Replies: Reply from cochranpr at mac.com (David Cochran) ([Leica] From Which country is this camera?)