Subject: [Leica] Zeiss Ikon Shipments
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun Nov 6 16:00:42 2005

> Thanks Douglas.
>
> The best feature of this camera is that you can only buy it NEW at present
> ;-)

I think this camera for the period of time which exists until they get bored
with making it like the Kyocera with it's playful but ridiculous Contax G
will give Leica a kick in the pants kind of like Oui did for Playboy.
Make them take their head out of the sand.
Try harder like Avis
and get out of the rut and limited thinking they are in in many issues and
on what makes a product "classic" and how it can be made into a camera which
really evolves with integrity and reality. Not that I don't think Leica the
camera company hasn't come up with all kinds of stuff like the new glass
which makes me glad I'm using it.
Although like Mac and PC they'll just see the other guy doing it and they'll
come out with the same feature themselves. And Kodak with Fuji. The Marx
Brothers with the Bowery Boys. Unless Zeiss Ikon Cosina has a patent on
labeled framelines and the slew of other useful innovations they're coming
out with. We'll see how rip offable they are.
Here on this list most of us are careful and specific enough with the new
nominal Voigtl?nder stuff to refer to it as CV. Cosina Voigtl?nder.

Part of the unspoken logic behind this is some of us already have
Voigtl?nder gear over the years and when we fondle them and look at them on
the kitchen table with the CV right next to them they resemble each other as
much as a sewing machine to a typewriter.
Same with the "new" Zeiss Ikon I'm sure.
Lets be smart and not be gender specific but camera specific and call it
like it is. I owned a Contarex Bullseye and have seen and fondled many a ZI.
They are solid and hokey puck like beyond all recognition. And deserve
better. To be left in their graves with dignity and respect.

Those great cameras in its day will have as much in common with this new
modern stuff as the Voigtl?nder endeavor.
The ZI/Cosina will be a leg up better than the CV but then the ZI was a
better camera than V by at least that much.
Some fun stuff sure just buy one for spare parts. But I which they'd call it
something else or seriously modify its name:

Zeiss Ikon II
Zeiss Ikon 2
Twice Ikon
Zeiss Nikon
Zeiss Ikon NOT!
Nouveau Zeiss Ikon
Zeiss Ikon Nouveau
Zeiss Nouveau Ikon
Zeiss Ikon Redux
Zeiss Nikon NOW!
Nice Zeiss.
Emporio Z Ikon
(that took 20 minutes)

When you buy Voigtl?nder out of a Shutterbug they make sure to tell you if
it's real, most of them, CV or V. As some of these old timers would be
aghast calling up their credit card companies opening up the UPS box and
pulling out this wonderful hollow plastic.  New timers too.

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon
http://rabinergroup.com/