Subject: [Leica] The Slippery Slope
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Thu Nov 10 19:50:02 2005

On 11/9/05 11:19 AM, "Daniel Ridings" <dlridings@gmail.com> typed:

> On 11/9/05, Robert Meier <robertmeier@usjet.net> wrote:
>> Your experience is, obviously,
>> different.   My experience may change tomorrow if I try and like the
>> Permajet Portrait Classic you recommend.
>>
>> Bob
>
> Sorry! I read wrong. It's not a good replacement for fiber glossy.
> It's a slightly "harder" surface than Hahnem?hle, but not fiber
> glossy. I was a sloppy reader.
>
> Now ... if Agfa Portriga Rapid was still around ... my experience
> would be different too :-)
>
> Daniel

Fiber glossy is the optimal darkroom silver gelatin processes surface.
Hahnem?hle whatever is for the inkjet process and I don't know if they make
anything else that Matt. Which is what they are at the Helm of.
You'd not compare the Platinum paper surface with Agra Portriga dried down
glossy. The silver darkroom process needs be as glossy as possible without
being obnoxious. With the exception of Ciba. Both Palladium and inkjet come
to think of it don't need gloss to look great but look their best,
(definitely Platinum) on matt as the pigment sits on top of the surface with
no gelatin on the top to dull things down and require gloss.

We always see these discussions of the surfaces of darkroom process with
inkjet  as if it's apples and apples and much of this is these people think
the esthetic is to make inkjets have the verisimilitude (my new word) of
"real" darkroom prints.
But the word has been long  out that one does not have to Lemingly mimic the
other.

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon