Subject: [Leica] Perfect Format
From: drodgers at casefarms.com (David Rodgers)
Date: Mon Nov 14 14:39:46 2005

I think we need to start officially referring to 35mm format as Perfect
format.

For years 35mm was the smallest serious format. Now we have APS sensors
and 35mm is referred to as "full frame". Many would call it heresy to
refer to 35mm as full frame. I can just see someone saying, "I prefer
using Leica because it's 'full frame'."  First thing you know someone
will drop a Rolleiflex, or a Hasselblad, or worse a fully equipped
Linhof on that person's head.

So I nominate 'perfect' and here's why.

1)       DSLRs will be referred to as "less than 'perfect' (except for
the few that are perfect, but really aren't because nobody can afford
them).

2)       This is, after all, the LUG and everyone should agree the
format Leica adopted is perfect.

3)       It won't hurt that film companies can start promoting perfect
film, which may lead to a bump in sales.

4)       It'll put an end to all the debates about the perfect film,
which only wastes bandwidth.

5)       35mm always makes me long for one less than three dozen plain
or peanut candy.

6)       It sounds better than "full frame" or "1.378inch"

During this time of rapid transition I think we have an opportunity to
change some nomenclature. It makes perfect sense.

Dave

www.purplehen.com

Replies: Reply from langeratcarleton at gmail.com (Mark Langer) ([Leica] Perfect Format)