Subject: [Leica] A Noctilux and Velvia ...
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Tue Nov 15 15:12:32 2005

feli said:
Subject: Re: [Leica] A Noctilux and Velvia ...

 > It's a compromise. You gain shutter speed by shooting at f1, but the DOF
becomes more shallow,
> so you may still end up with a soft picture. When I had my Noct, I often
> took subject distance
> in to consideration, when having to choose between the two.
>
> Trying to track a moving subject at f1, and below 5 meters,  is next to
> impossible.
> The DOF at f1 is about a half inch.<<<

Hi feli,
But doesn't any camera - lens combination have a compromise at some point or
other? It's knowing when and when not to you use them is the secret of
success. Obviously the Noctilux with it's bonuses, also has to be well
learned when to use it for positive results or failures.

We who use it on our work-a-day assignments usually know where and when to
make the lens work to our benefit, so yes you're correct saying at f1.0 it's
a pretty shallow depth of field. Certainly when attempting to shoot a moving
subject, it is a challenge. No question, but with experience, lots of it,
;-) It can be done. I'm not saying it's easy, simply because I've probably
missed more than I've made. :-)

ted