Subject: [Leica] Aaron's PAW 46
From: aaron.sandler at duke.edu (Aaron Sandler)
Date: Mon Nov 21 07:22:34 2005

Craig Zeni wrote:

>On Nov 21, 2005, at 9:21 AM, Aaron Sandler wrote:
>>http://www.duke.edu/~ajs2/PAW/2005_46/index.html
>
>My shot from the DC Convention Center about three weeks ago:
>http://gallery.leica-users.org/Colors/DChall
>http://gallery.leica-users.org/Colors/10thSt
>Lovely new convention center.  Layout is a bit unorthodox, but I thought
>it worked pretty well.
>CZ
>NC

It is indeed lovely, but I saw a bunch of problems at our conference with
design & maintenance.  I think the design problems had a lot to do with the
confusing layout inherent in the need to make the building in the shape of
a cube to fit in downtown (as opposed to many convention centers that are
basically linear).

But even then, they could have done better.  The worst for me was when I
walked alongside a woman in an electric wheelchair as we both followed
signs to "Hall D" for a talk.  After about 10 mintues, we reached an
escalator...there was no elevator in sight.  She asked a nearby security
guard where the elevator was.  He said there wasn't an elevator nearby and
suggested she go back to the main registration desk (10 minutes away) and
ask them how to get up to the room.  Pretty outrageous for a new convention
center, I thought.

On the bright side, you do run into a lot of old friends there...I ran into
one pal twice, about 20 minutes apart, as we both circled the convention
center (in opposite directions) each trying to find some particular
place.  The second time I saw him we were both sweating just a little from
trying frantically to get to where we needed to be.  I found where I was
going a few minutes later...I assume he made it out alive too, but I
haven't heard.

-Aaron

Message from clzeni at mindspring.com (Craig Zeni) ([Leica] Aaron's PAW 46)