Subject: [Leica] Night procession
From: lmc at interlink.es (Luis Miguel Castañeda)
Date: Tue Nov 22 10:39:27 2005

On 22/11/2005, at 18:48, Adam Bridge wrote:

> What IS the "night procession?"
> I'm probably in severe cultural deficit here but I'm eager to learn!

A bit hard to explain, as it is an old tradition with many variants,
but I'll try.

In almost every place of Spain there are some groups called
"cofrad?as" that have his devotions to a patron saint or the local
incarnation of Christ or the Virgin Mary, they work in a similar way
that a clan do it.

At fixed dates (as Corpus Christi or Holy Week for example) they do
meet in a ceremony, take the figure out the church in a platform
carrying it over the shoulders and back ribs of several persons
called "costaleros"; then they walk slowly a fixed route to end -
usually- again in the church. This walk is the procession, it is
public, not only restricted to the cofrad?as, and many of those has
its own behavior like silence, companion music, knee bending on some
places, or other peculiarities.

Being a costalero is a disputed honour and many times a matter of
trade that can involve a big amounts of money.

On that image we are seeing people congregating before to take the
saint out the Cordoba's cathedral, formerly a mosque (785-1236ac)
that was built over a visigothic church.

Looking the picture you can notice how popular those acts can be.

> Thanks Luis!

My pleasure Adam, hope it explained something.

Saludos
http://imaginarymagnitude.net/blog/

Message from abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge) ([Leica] Night procession)