Subject: [Leica] DVD for teaching photography?
From: abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge)
Date: Sun Nov 27 22:43:25 2005

Ted, I'm going to speak against all these "keep it photography" bits
of wisdom because what your books, and I think your passion for this
body of work, is beyond simply photography. You don't spend that much
time and put that much of yourself into something without it having a
deep and abiding meaning to  you.

So HONOR that meaning, Ted. Make the DVD the way you envision it with
a photography narrative and a medical narrative.

This will be HARD. When you construct a DVD with multiple sound tracks
they run against a common video track. Think of two voices speaking
against the same slide show, but the slide show you've always wanted
so you can get up close to the details. You can explore alternate
points of view...the possibilities are amazing.

But Ted I'd urge you take those images that mean so much to you - that
reflect decades of insight into both photography and medicine - and
connect with the physician who can speak for that other side you
photographed. And between you weave that braid of image and narrative.
In the doing of that you pass along to whoever sees it a sense of the
complex world in which you were so deeply immersed.

Because these are the things that count.

I say go for it Ted. It's a new medium and you have enough creativity
in you to inspire not only the people who will view the DVD but also
the people who will help you create it.

It's like poetry of word and vision and profession all woven together.

It's a wonderful vision. Don't give up on this idea. Make it live.
I'll buy one and I'm sure there are some video producers, maybe some
young ones in Vancouver who know the technology and would benfit from
all the insights into what you want to make.

I see some wonderful images, Ted. I hear you telling your story, how
you chose them, what they mean to you, why they mean that, and at the
same time, another world unfurls in another audio dimension, the
details of what the medical men and women saw and experienced. It's so
HUMAN.

What future physicians and photographers might exist because of this
project? What young editor and videographer, what DVD producer might
be inspired by the challenge of your idea?

Go for it. Make it happen. It's a whole new world out there and it's
at least as fun, and demanding, as aerobatics in a P-51.

Adam Bridge

Message from tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant) ([Leica] DVD for teaching photography?)