Subject: [Leica] Retro Blast... IIIA and a Summar
From: richard-lists at imagecraft.com (Richard)
Date: Wed Nov 30 13:32:54 2005

At 09:48 AM 11/30/2005, Ted Grant wrote:

>Richard answered this question:
>>The expressions are nice - but do we blame the gray pallor, the lack of
>>contrast, the overall flatness, on the lens, the processing, or...;-0<<<
>
>Richard said:
>>The general grayness is.... NorCal in November. The lens definitely
>>contributes to the lack of contrast and flatness. It is after all an
>>ancient Summar at F2/2.8!! The film and the processing may have something
>>to do with it too since a) the seller threw in 5 rolls of "expired" film.
>>Since the package doesn't say when it expires, it may be really old film
>>indeed, and b) this is the first time I have used DDX on TMAX-100.<<<

So Ted, here's a question: lets assume that the flat contrast is from the
lens alone (which I will not be surprise about) and lets say the pictures
themselves have some merits (e.g. nice expressions), do you think using a
lens like this is more detrimental than adding to it? I mean, the pictures
have certain characters because of the lens (e.g. certain soft portrait
look?) but in your opinions, do the advantages outweigh the disadvantages?

Thanks.

use richard at imagecraft.com)

Replies: Reply from bdcolen at comcast.net (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] Retro Blast... IIIA and a Summar)
Reply from geebee at geebeephoto.com (GeeBee) ([Leica] Retro Blast... IIIA and a Summar)