Subject: [Leica] Leica IIIa and Summar
From: pswango at att.net (pswango@att.net)
Date: Wed Nov 30 20:48:11 2005

I liked the look of Richard's Summar pictures, though I agree that they
lacked a little contrast.  My experience with the Summar is that you need to
find a clean one, and preferably a coated one.  None of the original Summars
were coated but a fair number were coated later by Leitz.  I found a coated
one a couple of years ago and it's been one of my favorite lenses ever
since.  I just posted a gallery of Summar shots at Smugmug so folks can see
what a good one can look like.  You can see them here:

http://pswango.smugmug.com/gallery/1006351

I think the ones taken in the art gallery (6&7) were shot between f/2 and
f/2.8.  One thing that helps with these older lenses is that you can tweak
the contrast in PS.