Subject: [Leica] Retro Blast... Now sharpness and contrast.
From: cartersn at nsula.edu (Sonny Carter)
Date: Thu Dec 1 12:36:19 2005

Ted Said:
>>Olden-times they didn't have the lens options we have today and I bet
there are lots of photos >>from those days that don't look so hot when
we'd look at them with modern day photographic eyes, >>expectations of
sharpness, contrast etc.

I deal in old photographs every day, and with the exception of sun or
light faded items, most pictures are fine for contrast and sharpness.

These for example:

http://www.nsula.edu/watson_library/MelroseProject.htm

In the 20's and 30's film speeds were much lower than today, and many
lens apertures were in the f5.6 - 6.3 range.  Tripods were frequent
companions because of these factors, but were just as cumbersome as
today; thus many photographers in olden days (like Ted ;-) could out
hand hold any of us in a slow exposure.

SonC

Replies: Reply from dlridings at gmail.com (Daniel Ridings) ([Leica] Retro Blast... Now sharpness and contrast.)
Reply from dlridings at gmail.com (Daniel Ridings) ([Leica] Retro Blast... Now sharpness and contrast.)