Subject: [Leica] One More Waxwing
From: telyt at telus.net (David Young)
Date: Fri Dec 2 08:16:28 2005

Richard asked:

> How small are those things?

Beak to tail, they're about 8" in length.

> 800mm focal length?

Yup. The Telyt 400/6.8 is a light, easy to use, fast to focus lens. I
wouldn't trade it for anybodys autofocus model.  My 2x is an older, SL
version, which vignettes with the Telyt... but using the Canon, the
vignetting is outside it's smaller APS-C sensor, the results are close
to textbook perfect!  (BTW: the newer, APO 2x converter does not
vignette with the Telyt.)

> That 1600 ISO image is so clean. Canon really is doing a great job on
> them...

I've been very pleased with the results at ISO 1600.  At ISO 3200, the
noise increases, noticeably, and the colour rendition is not as good.
But ISO 400 and ISO 1600 are extremely hard to tell apart. And the
higher ISO is terrific, when the Telyt w/2x converter is f13.6 wide
open!  It allows me to have many fewer good shots spoiled by camera
shake, compared to the R8 w/ISO 400 film.

I use a monopod, where I can, but the shoulder stock is good enough that
many shots can be made without one.  Here are three:

http://www3.telus.net/~telyt/bear-1.htm
http://www3.telus.net/~telyt/juvenile.htm
http://www3.telus.net/~telyt/taking_flight.htm

Thanks for looking!