Subject: [Leica] NY Times Article on Famous Rosa Parks Photo
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Wed Dec 7 22:14:41 2005

B. D. Colen offered:
>I can't get over the fact that people are willing to subscribe to news
> papers, but are somehow offended by having to pay for news and feature
> material if its delivered over the internet. <<

Hi B.D.,
I'm surprised we aren't charged for internet information by many services
far more than we are. The "for free" syndrome was created I think at the
beginning by internet elite who conceived it to pass information back and
forth quickly between a select group of users to be free to make instant use
in critical situations. Then along came this massive www communications
system we have today where it seems everything and anything you want is user
free. But I don't think that's going to last whether people like it or not.

A few years ago I asked an internet chap "how do people make money off the
internet?" Like who pays for websites and all the time it takes to put
information, pictures, advertising and endless other things we find on line?

His response was something like, " in some case's it's quite easy because
it's merely a transfer of information already on computers some where and
basically loaded by volunteers or students. Others receive payment for
advertising space and that's how they make money."

He then says, "However it wont last for ever! Sometime soon all these "free
information" sites will be charging some kind of fee. It may only be a
couple of bucks or an enormous amount. After all you don't go to the
library, take books out for free nor use their research facilities for
free."

Newspapers/magazines will be charging a fee of some kind no different than
you picking-up a copy at the newsstand or having it delivered to your home."
Quote-unquote!

So  B.D. I'm sure we're going to see more and more of these charges appear
simply because why should we get it free? Hey I'm not complaining, I think
it's far better free than sliced bread ever was!. ;-)

But imagine if each of us had to pay a monthly fee to Brian to be on the LUG
would we do it? Yep I'd pay if it were a reasonable rate simply because we
garner so much information that makes our lives personally and
photographically more interesting. HOWEVER!

BRIAN TAKE NOTE! ;-)
We are all poor over worked, on pension senior citizens! So don't get any
ideas! ;-) :-) We love you just the way you are! :-) :-)

I've thought a few times when I've required to subscribe to enter a site "to
hell with that."  In after thought "why not pay" wouldn't I charge if I were
being a consultant or asking a lawyer for advice?

So we can get it in our minds sooner than later we're probably going to see
far more pay fees flashed on the screen than ever in the past. Once one or
two start then the flood gates will open.

ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
1817 Feltham Road
Victoria BC  V8N 2A4