Subject: [Leica] GeeBee's staff - NOW Ted's crop
From: pdzwig at summaventures.com (Peter Dzwig)
Date: Sat Dec 10 03:47:51 2005

Ted Grant wrote:
> Peter Dzwig showed:
>
>> ...spotted taking themselves home, as the sun went down.
>> > http://gallery.leica-users.org/album177/GoingHome200512
>> > Leica IIIf 5cm Summarit Kodak BW400CN f11 1/200th<<<
>

> Hi Peter,
> Well done and an even better picture by taking a half inch of foreground
> off! Increase the whole photograph impact and the line of cattle!
>
> ted
>
> Ted Grant Photography Limited
> 1817 Feltham Road
> Victoria BC  V8N 2A4
> 250-477-2156

Ted,

the wonderful thing about PS is that you can try all sorts of things and no,
didn't PS the cows in (just get that in before anyone suggests it. I have
cropped this picture every way.

In the end I felt that taking out more of the foreground made it too long
and
narrow, more so than it is now. True, that stressed the cows but....

http://gallery.leica-users.org/album177/GoingHome200512Crop

Several things:

I feel that the foreground gives it an additional feeling of depth. It is
probably 150 yds up the track that they are taking and I wanted that sense
of
distance in the picture. To be honest I had already taken quite a bit out -
as
you can tell.

Cropping as tight in **most** cases doesn't seem appropriate for 35mm. I
crop
most shots - in the absence of a true telephoto on an RF it's the only thing
to do.

I'd like to hear what you think of this version, now you've seen it - and
I'd
also be interested to hear what others have to say. Hence the change of
title.

All the best,

Peter

Replies: Reply from ricc at mindspring.com (Ric Carter) ([Leica] GeeBee's staff - NOW Ted's crop)