Subject: [Leica] GeeBee's staff - NOW Ted's crop
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sat Dec 10 09:35:36 2005

Peter Dzwig offered revised copy:
Subject: Re: [Leica] GeeBee's staff - NOW Ted's crop
> Ted,
> > the wonderful thing about PS is that you can try all sorts of things and
> > no,  I
> didn't PS the cows in (just get that in before anyone suggests it. I have
> cropped this picture every way.
>
> In the end I felt that taking out more of the foreground made it too long
> and narrow, more so than it is now. True, that stressed the cows but....
> > http://gallery.leica-users.org/album177/GoingHome200512Crop
>
> Several things:
> I feel that the foreground gives it an additional feeling of depth. It is
> probably 150 yds up the track that they are taking and I wanted that sense
> of distance in the picture. To be honest I had already taken quite a bit
> out - as you can tell.
> I'd like to hear what you think of this version, now you've seen it - and
> I'd also be interested to hear what others have to say. Hence the change
> of title.<<<

Peter said,
> In the end I felt that taking out more of the foreground made it too long
> and narrow, more so than it is now. True, that stressed the cows but....
> > http://gallery.leica-users.org/album177/GoingHome200512Crop<<<

I agree with you it's now too narrow, you cropped too tight and took away
the field feeling.

I made a print of the original, a print of your present crop as shown and a
print of "my crop."  My humble opinion is "my crop with only the 3/4-1" crop
looks better. ;-) Simply because when you did your "Ted's version crop" you
removed too much foreground.

Look at your original on screen. Take a ruler and measure no more than 3/4
to an inch and crop across there.

Or if you look at the shot on the lower left about a 1 inch mark from bottom
there's a small, what looks like a clump of grass, use that as your crop
line. Now what you have is, not too much nor too little. I didn't mean to
crop the cattle as tight as you did as that takes away the openness of the
field.

It's much easier making the comparison with the three prints side by each.

I realize there'll now be 2,999 other versions posted by the committee! ;-)

Have another look with just that 3/4 inch cut, best use that small clump of
grass left bottom as your cut off point. Then tell me what you think?

ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
1817 Feltham Road
Victoria BC  V8N 2A4