Subject: [Leica] Christmas Picture Contest
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sat Dec 10 10:00:00 2005

Daniel Ridings showed: motion in lights!
Subject: Re: [Leica] Christmas Picture Contest
> Another PAW Christmas (2003 week 51)
> > http://www.dlridings.com/paw2003/51.html<<<

Hi Daniel,
My kind of picture taking. :-) The subjects are moving so why not take
advantage of the action and try to capture a different picture. And you did
just that, made the motion work for you. If there were a tripod handy I'd
have tried a longer time exposure, that is if they were doing continuous
circles around with torches, at least for a couple of loops. Or if you had
control over the situation I'd have made them do a half dozen go a round's.
And certainly done several versions of going around and around.

Yep it would've been kind of squiggly, but who cares until after you see the
results on the light table or screen simply because it's the motion that
makes this work. As does in your case. I always try a number of variations
with this type of situation.

Sure a stopped standing there might be interesting, but dull! And if a stand
still situation happens I'd make a shot of it as a "cover my ass kind of
picture." But the real in your face do something different is.... "shoot it
while they are moving! The more loops the merrier of motion within a stopped
scene. That's why a tripod would've been necessary .

My comments aren't a complaint about your effort, as I quite frankly like
the feeling. Good on you for the effort and thought to try it as you did.

ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
1817 Feltham Road
Victoria BC  V8N 2A4