Subject: [Leica] B&W Film Scanner
From: jblack at ambio.net (John Black)
Date: Mon Dec 19 11:17:32 2005

>  > I am looking for a film scanner to scan my Tri-X negatives, and an
curious
>  > what others are getting good results with.
<snip>

> I'm using an LS-5000 on a Mac running OS X.  I use both the Nikon
> software and Vuescan.  The scanner is OK, but has a couple of
> drawbacks:

<more snip>

I use an old Nikon LS2000 for scanning AgX film (Tri-X and Neo1600 mostly)
and have no trouble at all.  Now, I only do web publishing and not printing
with the scans but they look quite good on the screen.  I scan in monochrome
at the highest resolution possible, disabling the ICE application. I then
spot where necessary (that WONDERFUL cloning tool in PS), resize to maybe
850 ppi (5X7 on screen), crop, adjust brightness and/or contrast if
necessary, convert to 8 bit (scan in 12 bit) and sharpen.  I have no
noticeable grain with Tri-X and barely noticeable with N1600.

Again, I don't print with these scans though. I do that in the darkroom.

Are you dissatisfied mostly with the LS4000 on printing?

JB

Message from hartzell at kestrel.alerce.com (George Hartzell) ([Leica] B&W Film Scanner)