Subject: [Leica] OT: File recovery from a Sandisk USB flash drive
From: pklein at 2alpha.net (Peter Klein)
Date: Mon Dec 19 23:19:29 2005

Off topic, but would appreciate an assist:

A colleague just returned from Africa with a bunch of files on her flash
drive.  Or so she thought.  She plugged it into her computer.  Nothing
there.  The drive shows up, but it appears to have zero total space, zero
bytes free, zero files.

I've looked at the flash drive on several computers.  Same story.  In My
Computer/Explorer, it acts like a Zip drive with no disk inserted.  It
shows up as a drive letter E:.  If you double click on it, Windows prompts
you to insert a disk.  This worries me.  It's not that the drive has been
erased, so we see empty memory. It's like there's no memory at all.  Almost
like the memory is physically damaged.

In her email, she mentioned that she had some difficulty copying files to
the drive in Africa, so it could be that she's corrupted the structure to
the point that Windows sees nothing.   I don't have any more information
yet--I didn't see her, as she's still on Africa time and went home early.

The problem device is a Sandisk "Cruzer" mini 2 gig USB 2.0 flash
drive.  Any suggestions on a file recovery utility that has the best chance
of recovering anything would be appreciated.  Sandisk has their own
utility, and I recall Tina mentioning a couple a while back, Photo Rescue
and Restorer 2000, I think.  Are these still my best bet, or have others
gotten better?

Thanks!
--Peter

Replies: Reply from douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp) ([Leica] OT: File recovery from a Sandisk USB flash drive)
Reply from s.dimitrov at charter.net (Slobodan Dimitrov) ([Leica] OT: File recovery from a Sandisk USB flash drive)
Reply from images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] OT: File recovery from a Sandisk USB flash drive)