Subject: [Leica] Happy Holidays From Gromit & Me
From: rbaron at concentric.net (Robert D. Baron)
Date: Fri Dec 23 09:01:42 2005

Earlier today Philippe Orlent kindly observed:

> http://www.ruffecavaliers.com/HolidayCard2005.html

> Great and funny catch. How many did you have to make to get such a
> good one?

Thanks, Phillipe.  I just went back and checked: the shot was actually
made 2 years ago; I had the idea and then took various shots (maybe 15
in all) from various angles over several nights.  I didn't do them all
on one night because the dogs get impatient and loud if their dinner is
delayed too long while I am taking pictures :-) and I don't like to
subject them to too many flashes at once.

The technical details: R8, 35mm Summilux 1.4, Fuji 800, Metz 54 MZ3 flash.

The non-technical side: this is not necessarily an image I would have
chosen for publication because it is not cutting edge sharp, it is a
crop and the grain is obvious, the overall exposure was less than
perfect, the highlights on Gromit's forehead are blown out way beyond my
photoshop skills to recover, and by the time it worked its way through
the camera store's machine printing process it is, well, not as 'clean'
as I would have liked.

However, most every adult who has seen it has a wide grin, and the small
children who see it squeal with laughter.

There's probably a lesson there.

;-)

Thanks again for commenting.

--Bob