Subject: Non-criticism/non-monograph books (was Re: [Leica] Leica Books....which to buy?)
From: wooderson at gmail.com (Matt Powell)
Date: Tue Dec 27 12:43:05 2005

On 12/27/05, e. nitka <enitka1@comcast.net> wrote:
> Steve - I agree that unless you have some burning desire to know all
> the minutae of the Leica System one is best recommended to buy
> photography books regardless of the camera used to take those
> pictures.

I too have wound up with a few gift certificates that need spending
and thought I'd look to the LUG for advice. I've got criticism and
monographs that I haven't explored to their fullest, so I'm curious
what are the stand-outs in the vein of Magnum Stories - essays and
writings by photographers on their process and work - or great
bios/memoirs?

Magnum Stories looks like the clear winner, though it's on backorder
with Amazon and unwieldly to read (kinda like Eugene Richards' Fat
Baby - not something I can take in by bag to read before class).

The only two I have picked out are the Kershaw biography of Robert
Capa and the slim 'history of Magnum' volume. Is the Aussoline bio of
HCB good?

--
MP
wooderson@gmail.com