Subject: Non-criticism/non-monograph books (was Re: [Leica] Leica Books....which to buy?)
From: bdcolen at comcast.net (B. D. Colen)
Date: Tue Dec 27 13:15:17 2005

I'd urge you to go for Magnum Stories or Fat Baby, regardless of their size,
over any of the bios. Reading the bio of HCB - or any other photographer for
that matter-  is not going to improve your shooting. Absorbing Magnum
Stories or Fat Baby may. (That's not to say that reading biographies isn't
interesting, and perhaps instructive - I've just started my big Christmas
book - The Beatles, the 900 page + bio of the Fab Four. But I'm not reading
it to improve my musical ability - good luck! - or to learn how to become a
pop phenomenon; I'm reading it for enjoyment, and to better understand these
four guys who had such a huge impact on the music and society in which I
live.)