Subject: [Leica] Re: Our Lady of Guadaloupe
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Tue Jan 3 09:55:51 2006
References: <6.2.3.4.2.20051230182611.00bd0800@mail.rhtc.net> <96eb6f6c2794f9357d79a0e614bc64ec@ncable.net.au> <43B6630A.5040707@summaventures.com> <FFB8E949-BFB4-4905-B3DA-E8D2993A4631@mac.com> <002701c60fd4$689ef890$2ee76c18@ted> <6.2.3.4.2.20060102144748.01d55200@mail.rhtc.net> <22AF2D5F-473F-4270-86B0-0494AB54A469@ralgo.nl> <6.2.3.4.2.20060102180546.01e15a40@mail.rhtc.net> <20060103063429.2475.qmail@gexrp01.ncable.net.au>

Alastair offered:
> How about a bean bag on a pew ;-) <<<

Hi Alastair,
Another good suggestion. But that keeps her too low for reaching into other
areas of the church, that's why she needs to be up front at a higher level
off a monopod.

The monopod also allows lateral movement quite easily with hardly any
noticeable movement while "working the crowd." However this still doesn't
guarantee heart warming pictures as it's just one of those subject
situations that requires major time far beyond what one could devote to on a
volunteer basis.

Paying ? Even that would be questionable, it's just the subject and location
that makes it so hard to come away with the intimate moments we generally
see from Tina's photography. Sure one heck of a challenge to say the least
for anyone.

To compound shooting this scene I believe Tina said she was already working
at the thin edge of disaster for lighting levels. So if this project is so
all het up big-time for the museum they cough up the money to have the
church lit as a TV event, then everyone knows this is a big thing, in turn
allows the photographer a better chance of hopefully better pictures.

It's like shooting an assignment and the art director is chatting away with
the client whom it's for on the pictures and angles he wants, while me the
silent photographer stands there looking around with the thought of... "what
the hell is this guy talking about? I know I can do most of it without any
problem, he just hasn't noticed I don't have wings!" ;-)

As soon as he finishes and says, "So Ted what do you think?"  "Piece of
cake, we'll order in a helicopter and it'll be beautiful!" :-) EYES sort of
pop from he and client as I say to assistant call the airport and see if
Bill is available in about and hour."  I look at them, they're still eye
popped and I'm smiling, "Yep going to make a beautiful spread, wont take
long, an hour or so air time!" Love it as they stand there sucking air! But
that's how you teach people, by surprise sometimes. ;-)

Notice I never mentioned cost!  Now that's their problem! Because this was
an extremely important advertising project and do you think they were going
to bicker about a few thousand for a chopper?

Similarly with Tina's project, if this is such an important project for the
museum then what's a few thousand for a TV lighting crew to light the church
and do it right? ;-)

Basically you should always try to push the client into, "do it right or
don't do it!"  It's an asset to the success of your photography. Besides who
wants to end up with a half assed looking set of photographs that besmirch
your credibility as a photographer? Sure as hell not me! Remember your
reputation is only as good as your last assignment looks!

Sorry a bit longer than a bean bag answer. ;-)

ted

Replies: Reply from summarex at hotmail.com (Javier Perez) ([Leica] Digital R8/9 question)
Message from firkin at ncable.net.au (Alastair Firkin) ([Leica] Our Lady of Guadaloupe)
Message from pdzwig at summaventures.com (Peter Dzwig) ([Leica] Our Lady of Guadaloupe)
Message from kennybod at mac.com (Kenneth Frazier) ([Leica] Our Lady of Guadaloupe)
Message from tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant) ([Leica] Our Lady of Guadaloupe)
Message from images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] Our Lady of Guadaloupe)
Message from bruce at ralgo.nl (bruce) ([Leica] Our Lady of Guadaloupe)
Message from images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] Our Lady of Guadaloupe)
Message from firkin at gexrp01.ncable.net.au (firkin) ([Leica] Re: Our Lady of Guadaloupe)