Subject: [Leica] tri-x and microdol-x
From: drodgers at casefarms.com (David Rodgers)
Date: Tue Jan 3 14:39:56 2006

Phong,

I used D76 for years. But if it sits around for a while it can change
quite suddenly and unexpectedly. That's not a problem if you go through
a lot of developer. I did at one time, but not so much these days.

I think XTOL is one of the greatest developers ever invented. It's works
well and it's stable. I mix a 5 liters batch of XTOL in an old box wine
bladder. (All you have to do is be able to stomach one box of the wine.
The bladder is reusable. The one I have has been used a dozen times.)
The wine bladder/liners prevent oxidation, and they have a nice spigot.
The XTOL lasts for a long time. I just used some that was over a year
old without a problem. I use XTOL one shot, usually 1:1 or 1:3.

I'm getting ready to buy a brick of bw film and can't decide on Tri-X,
TMY or something else. I've been shooting BW400CN, but I miss developing
my own film. Also, now that the Holidays are over, I need something to
keep my Martini shaking skills polished until next year.

DaveR