Subject: [Leica] still more on Leica "rumor" and NYT
From: mcyclwritr at comcast.net (mcyclwritr@comcast.net)
Date: Wed Jan 4 10:54:25 2006

This exactly the sort of NYT apologist retort I anticipated. That's why my
original post included a whiff of Basic Reporting 101, which, predictably,
is missing from your reply.

How do you know what the "mining company told family members and others?"
Was it broadcast on TV? Did you see actual, talking-head footage? Did that
talking head say to the effect of "It has been confirmed that rescuers have
reached 12 surviving miners?" If so, I defer to you. I didn't see it.
Further, who is a "mining company?" How can a company speak? It speaks
through a spokesman. Who is that person? What, exactly, did he say? Report
it, wrapped it in quotation marks.

And that's just part of why this particular misreporting debacle is so
embarrassing. Nobody from the wire service or any other reporting agency
took the time CONFIRM a damn thing. Not one damn thing. See the difference?
Spreading rumors and miscommunication versus factual, substantiated
reporting.

Don't settle for sloppy reporting. Demand facts. Get information from
numerous sources, whether you're the reporter or the reader.

-Chris Lawson

From: Matt Powell <wooderson@gmail.com>

Replies: Reply from bdcolen at comcast.net (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] still more on Leica "rumor" and NYT)
Reply from clzeni at mindspring.com (Craig Zeni) (OT Re: [Leica] still more on Leica "rumor" and NYT)